Who We Are
WHO WE AREEstablished in September 2015, the International Organization for Migration’s Global Migration Data Analysis Centre was set up to respond to calls for better international migration data and analysis. Data are key to inform migration governance, improve programming and promote a better public understanding of migration.
Our WorkData is key to inform migration governance, improve programming and promote a better public understanding of migration. GMDAC works toward this purpose through activities in knowledge management, data capacity-building and innovation, and data collection and analysis.
- Data and Resources
- Take Action
Revising Statistical Concepts And Definitions Of International Migration: Perspectives For Africa
The United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) organized an expert group meeting on improving migration data in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in New York. The UN Expert Group Meeting is working on the revision of the UN Recommendations on Statistics of International Migration which included looking at the concept and definition of migrant, data integration issues, the key elements of the Global Programme on International Migration Statistics. The webinar provided an overview of the revised concepts and definitions on international migration and discuss the consequences of this revision for African migration data.
Introduced by: Leila Ben-Ali, Head of Statistics Division, African Union
Moderated by: Frank Laczko, Director, IOMs Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC), Co-chair the UN Expert Group on Migration Statistics
- Francesca Grum, Chief, Social and Gender Statistics-Statistics Division, UN Statistics Division (UNSD)
- Diego Iturralde, Chief Director: Demography, Statistics South Africa (Stats SA)
- Félicien Fomekong, Expert Démographe, Département des Statistiques Démograpiques et Sociales, Institut National de la Statistique du Cameroun
- Application of UN conceptual frameworks to South Africa: Current data situation and gaps
- A modern conceptual framework for statistics on international migration and mobility
- Donnees Sur Les Mouvements Migratoires En Afrique Centrale : Enjeux Et Defis