Global Compact for Migration Side Event on Migration Data
The United Nations, OECD and IOM, organize a side event on a programme to improve the collection and use of migration data, ahead of the Intergovernmental Conference to Adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration.
Side event on:A global programme to improve the collection and use of migration data
When: 9 December 2018, 15:30 - 17:15
Location: Palmeraie Golf Palace, Oliveraie room D, Marrakesh, Morocco
Improving the collection and utilization of migration data is the first of 23 objectives of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration. Specifically, the Global Compact commits to (a) strengthening the global evidence base on international migration, (b) elaborating and implementing a comprehensive strategy for improving migration data, and (c) developing a global programme to build and enhance national capacities in data collection, analysis and dissemination. Building on the recognition that migration is a multidimensional reality of major relevance for the sustainable development of countries of origin, transit and destination, future strategies, programmes and activities to improve migration data must be undertaken within the context of the 2030 Agenda and, in particular, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Panelists and moderator
The panel will be chaired and moderated by Ms. Mariana Kotzeva, Director-General, StatisticalOffice of the European Union (Eurostat).
The event will feature the following speakers:
- Mr. Zachary Mwangi, Chair, United Nations Statistical Commission
- Mrs. Amira El Fadil, Commissioner for Social Affairs, African Union (AU) (tbc)
- Mr. Jean-Christophe Dumont, Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Mr. Bela Hovy, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA)
- Mr. Frank Laczko, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The event will aim at delivering the following key outcomes:
- Awareness raised about the critical role of data in implementing the Compact
- Good practices shared to improve the collection and use of migration data
- Proposals initiated for implementing Objective 1 of the Global Compact
- Linkages highlighted between the Global Compact and the 2030 Agenda