Call for Proposals: International Forum on Migration Statistics
The International Forum on Migration Statistics (IFMS) is a unique, global platform devoted to improving data on migration in all its dimensions. Organised by the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), the IFMS offers space for dialogue for a broad range of actors, from national and regional authorities, NGOs, international agencies and the private sector. The first meeting of the IFMS, took place in Paris, France, from 15 to 16 January 2018, and it included 240 speakers and over 350 participants from 90 countries, representing national statistical offices, international organizations, non-governmental organizations and academic institutions.
The second IFMS aims to mobilise expertise from a wide range of disciplines – such as statistics, economics, demography, sociology, geospatial science, and information technology – to improve the collection and analysis of migration data worldwide. The Forum will take place in Cairo, Egypt on 20-21 January 2020.
It will explore innovative ways to measure population mobility and to generate timely statistics, by bringing together a broad range of participants to share and to discuss new data initiatives and examples of success in the field of migration data.
The focus on data capacity building comes from the recognition that implementing the commitments of international processes comes with significant challenges for National Statistical Offices, which often have limited capacities to collect, analyse and manage data relevant to migration.
The plenary sessions of the Forum will be organised around the following six themes:
- Strengthening data for policy
- Data collection and innovation
- Cooperation and data governance
- Capacity development and financing
- Measuring progress on the SDGs and other global commitments
- Improving the availability of data on migrants in vulnerable situations
Call for papers and parallel sessions
The IFMS 2020 will include between 15 and 20 parallel sessions, each lasting 90 minutes, in addition to plenary sessions with high-level experts. You are encouraged to submit proposals to:
- Organize a parallel session as an individual expert, institution, or in partnership with others;
- Submit a paper or a report to be to be incorporated into a workshop/panel.
Submit your proposals here until 31 July 2019.
Participation in the IFMS 2020 is free of charge but attendees are expected to cover their own travel costs. A limited number of grants will be available for participants from developing countries.
The Forum will be held in English with interpretation in French, Arabic and Portuguese available during plenary sessions. You are welcome to propose sessions in any language, although we ask that you please submit your applications (including abstracts) in English.
How will the selection be made?
Proposals will be assessed by the IFMS 2020 Programme Committee on the following criteria:
• Full application according to the submission guidelines
• Importance of the topic to advancing the statistical agenda on migration and its impacts
• Credential and experience of the session organizer and proposed panelists (session) or of presenter (paper)
• Gender balance of proposed panelists
• Adequacy of available experience and knowledge on the topic allowing exploration of the proposed issues in sufficient detail and with reference to concrete examples
• Complementarity of the topic with other accepted session proposals, to allow for a diverse and well-balanced programme
See the events page for more information about the Forum.
For general inquiries about IFMS 2020 please write to: IFMS2020@iom.int